Friday, May 15, 2009

A Wonderful day of...

...discovering. I have a passion for photography. The last few weeks it seems as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning, I am off and running. But, today I had most of the day to myself. There is nothing I enjoy more than to just take my camera and go looking for whatever, is waiting to be "discovered" and photographed.
First I "discovered" that the Jacks are back. Both the green and brown. I like to turn up the flaplike spathe and photograph "Jack" the club like spadix.
Next among the Euphorbia esula, Leafy Spurge I found several Red Ants, Formica exsectoides. They are rusty red on the head and thorax and blackish brown on the legs and abdomen. Worker often stay near aphids or transport them to collect their "honeydew". Honeydew is a saplike liquid which the aphids secrete.
Next I found Morel mushrooms in several places, where I have not found them before. They are edible and if I find enough, I will pick them and cook them. A local grocery store sells Morels at $99.00 a pound. They are a very valuable "discovery". The question is do I like photographing them or eating them? Both!!!

5 comments:

Bernie said...

So informative, thank you for sharing. I am happy that you had a day for yourself, we all need that once in awhile......:-) Bernie

Wanda..... said...

Good morning...I love your photos...and last week took photos of all three of the same things...2 will appear in my next post...ants and Morels...which I knew were expensive, but had no idea "that expensive"...The past few months finds me too...camera in hand or nearby...just waiting, watching, or looking...Take care!

Deerfriend said...

Wanda, just finished reading your blog, I left a comment, let me know if you received it.
Change, isn't that what it's all about...enjoy each moment and be grateful.

Deerfriend said...

Bernie, left a comment on your blog too. Hope that your weather is a bit warmer. And that the birds will soon be arriving at your new feeder. Sending warmth and warm fuzzies your way:)

Deerfriend said...

Bernie, left a comment on your blog too. Hope that your weather is a bit warmer. And that the birds will soon be arriving at your new feeder. Sending warmth and warm fuzzies your way:)

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!