Friday, April 10, 2009

Son before Father...

...there are several plants that have this feature, of the flowers blooming before the leaves appear. Tussilago farfara, Coltsfoot is one of these plants. It is blooming today in the ditches along the roadside. It's joyous yellow hue calls out to me as I pass by. It is an alien plant that looks somewhat like a Dandelion, except the Dandelion blooms after the leaves. The Dandelion has a smooth stalk and the Coltsfoot's stem is rough or scaly. Coltsfoot was used in colonial times as a cough syrup. It grows in "waste places" and is found throughout the Northeast. It's leaves are attractive and last throughout the growing season. We have some growing on a hillside and it seems to prevent soil erosion.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deer One....I loved the title of this posting as it was Good Friday for me, it spoke something more.....Have been meaning to say how sorry I am for the loss of your Dear John....I love someone with MS too. Blessed Easter...Happy Spring! Love your site, Laurel (from Joanne's)

Deerfriend said...

Thank you Laurel, for kind thoughts and for reading my posts. May you and your family have a blessed and joyous Easter. See you soon
Love and Hugs,
Joan

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!