Thursday, April 9, 2009

Gloves that I...

...actually wear. Before finding these treasured gloves, I would head for the gardens with cotton gardening gloves on each hand, only to pull them off in frustration, when I couldn't weed with them on. The one size fits all, never fit me. The finger tips would bend over and made them incapable of grasping anything. Or the gloves would become wet and comfortable, or thorns or other sharp objects would prick my fingers. I found it easier just to throw the gloves away and deal with dirty fingernails and sore fingers.
While visiting the Philadelphia flower show many years ago I found the glove that I now use. They were a bit pricey, but they were worth it. Two years ago while attending a Woodman Field Days in the Adirondacks, I found a vendor that sold my favorite gloves at a great savings. I buy them a dozen at a time. So, check around you may be able to find them at a lesser price too.
The reason I buy so many pairs is, because I give them as gifts and always have a pair in my day-pack, the trunk of my car, in the kitchen, in the tool shed, in my gardening tote etc.
The Brand name is Atlas and they come in small and extra small in addition to medium, large and extra large. I actually alternate between these 3 types shown in the photos, if I could have only one type it would be the Green/White pair with the rubber tips.

4 comments:

Wanda..... said...

That is good to know... the seams in most gloves leave my fingers sore...some gloves feel too bulky and awkward...and some just get too dirty and stiff and just get tossed...right now I'm using men's yellow leather work gloves in a small...still too big though...I will look for this brand...Thank you Joan!

Deerfriend said...

Wanda, If you are unable to find the brand, let me know and I will see that you get a pair.
They're not too warm, they don't soak through (unless you emerge your entire hand in water), your fingers don't get jabbed with thorns and they fit.
Joan

Bernie said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw your gloves, I have the same ones. Now I just backed into them as I live in a condo and only have potted plants as well as hanging baskets. I like them for working outside or in my basement. They are great, I got mine at Canadian Tire and yes they were expensive but I have had the same pair for 4 years. I have to show everyone what they are like as I didn't think to look at the worn tag for a name. Now I feel like a gardener even though I'm not. I really enjoy your blog, thank you:)

Deerfriend said...

Thank you Bernie, you must be a gardener, you bring sunshine and joy with you wherever you go.
My older pair of gloves are used when I am painting, or working with cement. (that will be another post, I have made cement leaves from real leaves), and I save the newer pair for "dress". If there are Woodman's Days or County Fairs in your area, you might find these gloves for sale at these events at a more reasonable price.

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!