Friday, April 17, 2009

Playing in the Mud...

...isn,t just for kids. Yesterday a gardening friend and I took a "hypertufa" class and played in the mud. We both made a container that is made from equal parts of portland cement and "Promix".
The Promix is a combination of chopped sphagnum moss, perlite and sand. The cement and potting mix are combined with water, until it is a smooth consistent mix and will make into "mud balls" easily, (it is like making pie dough). We had a mold which was made of styrafoam and molded the "mud" into the form. The shape is actually octagonal, but looks like a large rectangle with pushed in corners. It is about 20" by 14" and about 10" deep. It will be ready for Spring planting, but takes about 21 days to cure. The plants used in hypertufas are usually apline (rock garden) plants. I did a post on this last month. Both my gardening friend and I agreed that it was wonderful day and great to "play in the mud" again. Once the container is "cured" and planted I shall post a photo.

2 comments:

Wanda..... said...

I have always planned on making one of these...I even saved a web site in my favorites for the instructions...but never did get around to doing it...you have inspired me to try...I like the natural look...like a stone basin!Will look forward to seeing it planted!

Deerfriend said...

You really should try making one, Wanda, it is fun and as you mentioned like a stone basin. Because it is made of cement, sand, perlite and sphagnum it is breathable. Using alpine plants, you can have entire garden in one container. To me they are little floral gem boxes.

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!