Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lovely and Unique...

...things are blooming in the gardens. Among the lovely are Helleborus orientalis, Lenten Rose, it is in full bloom (just missed Lent and Easter). Another that is blooming, is Astilboides tabularis, a very unique blossom. I don't know the common name or if there even is one. I purchased the plant at White Flower Farms in Litchfield, Connecticut several years ago, while on a garden club tour of New England Nurseries. The first glimpse of the enormous leaves and I knew I wanted that plant . The genus contains a single species, and what a species it is!!! It is native to Northern China, it prefers partial shade, but I have it growing in full sun. The plant height is about 3 feet and each leave is in excess of 24 inches. It is invasive but, not too difficult to keep under control. In the garden it is truly a show stopper.

4 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Hello Joan...The Astilboides tabularis ia a very impressive plant...I went to google to see one in full bloom...You must have a beautiful garden...I sprayed my hostas, autumn joy and rose bushes with liquid fence earlier...so far it has kept the deer off...and Bluebirds have 5 eggs in a nest box in the field! Hope you are feeling well!

Deerfriend said...

Hi Wanda, You are right Astilboides is amazing.
How wonderful, your blue birds are back and already nesting. Are you able to get photos of the eggs? And isn't great that there are sprays which allow us to enjoy Hosta, Sedums and Roses.
Have a wonderful weekend. I am feeling really well, thank you.

Deerfriend said...

Hi Wanda, I tried, unsuccessfully to leave a comment on your post. I should have looked before I asked.
Great blue bird egg photos, the precious fawn and so many exciting and beautiful photographs.
The "I've been tagged", post was heart warming and brought back many tender moments.
I photographed both my husband and granddaughter feeding Chickadees from their hands, I will do a post on how we did it soon.
Looking forward to spending the next week with our three teenage Granddaughters.
Thank you, Joan

Bernie said...

My gosh you and Wanda sure have knowledge as well as a green thumb. No wonder I enjoy your pictures so much. Growing plants, flowers, or gardens isn't one of my strengths but I love all of them. I live my love through the talent of others. Thank you for sharing....

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!