Sunday, March 29, 2009

Plant identification tags...

...are a great way to remember what is planted where, and to remember both the common and botanical names. For many years I used plant tags, the metal kind that you mark with a special pencil. Every year to my dismay, after diligently identifying each perennial, I would find that the marking was either faded or completely gone from the metal tag. I tried permanent marker too and the results were the same. Two years ago I purchased a label maker, I got mine from Staples, but they can be purchased elsewhere. The tape that I use in the label maker is laminated, and the tags that I identified two years ago still look like new.
The tags help me to remember what is planted and eliminates digging up bulbs etc. by mistake. This is also helpful in the Spring when not everything grows at the same rate. It is even more helpful, as a mature gardener, when someone asks "what is that plant" and I would have to call them at 2:00 a.m., when I finally remembered its name.

2 comments:

Wanda..... said...

That is a wonderful tip...would be especially appreciated by others at a time we may not be here...I think that will be my next project...along with a separate journal for ease of identifying the more sentimental plants given by loved ones. Thanks for your knowledge.

Wanda..... said...

THANK YOU JOAN for your birthday greeting and your very kind comments...I'm grateful for your visits...I enjoy blogging and making new friends...especially when I learn things as I have from you!

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!