Monday, March 30, 2009

Only Calendar Spring...

...it is snowing today. A dusting of new snow covers the yard and gardens. I have heard it said that snow provides nitrogen, but it also provides a sense that Spring (in the North County) is still a long way off. I have removed a lot of leaves and winter debris from the gardens, perhaps I should have waited a bit longer. I don't put the "gardens to bed" in the fall as I used to do. I find that many birds and a few animals find food, in the seeds, pods and leaves that I would normally compost. It makes for more work in the Spring but, I really don't mind, as I enjoy the many visitors that find food among the garden leftovers.
April and showers will be with us before the end of the week. Both will bring renewal to the earth and longing souls. And so I wait...

1 comment:

Wanda..... said...

I too leave some flowers standing in the fall, especially the purple coneflowers for the Goldfinches...So far the really nice days here in S.W.Ohio come only two at a time...and it takes half of the day to warm up...Yesterday and now today have been sunny...hoping tomorrow too!

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!