Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's Here...

It is officially Spring. The temperatures are hovering around 40 degrees, up here in the North Country but, it is sunny, and the sky is very blue. Most of the snow has melted and bits of green, leaves and buds, are peeking from under old leaves.
The deer are herding up and I have seen as many as 15 deer, grazing together, in a nearby field. I sprinkled "Repels-All" Granules on all my gardens yesterday. It is a non-toxic but, very smelly, nose stinging repellent that lets the deer and other critters, know immediately that these gardens are not a food source. After I rake and tidy up the gardens I will reapply more granules. Then as new growth begins I will use Repels-All spray. The spray lasts about 3 months, I only respray new growth on each plant. The spray and granules are made by Bonide. You can check them out on their website. There are many excellent repellents on the market today, but the key is to be consistent. The product I use works well against deer, chipmunks, raccoons, skunks and rabbits. I have also found that it deters Rose Chafer Beetles and Japanese Beetles.

No comments:

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!