Friday, February 27, 2009

For Love of Onions...

I am in the process of checking with the manufacturer of my, "secret weapon", that keeps deer from devouring my plants, in order to share it with you.
Actually last year I was able to observe the entire progress of my many Hosta Plants. Normally, they break through the ground and begin the growing process in mid Spring, become mature, luscious plants in Summer and turn a multitude of hues in Fall. Before I discovered the "secret weapon", my Hosta plants emerged and become meals for the hungry "deerly beloved". The stems and maybe a few bedraggled leaves were all that was left for this gardener's enjoyment.
I needed to turn my attention to some other plants, that would not be immediately sought out as "food". In addition to the prickly, poisonous, green-gray smelly plants in my garden, I also added many bulbs. Daffodil, crocus, crown imperial, and onions are some of my choices. Especially onions or Alliums. Allium 'Globemaster' and 'Shubertii' are my favorites. The Globemasters start out as glorious green stars lying on the ground. Soon the bud emerges and the stem pushes upward until it reaches about 3 feet. The bud enlarges and bursts into an enormous orb of lavender florescence. When the flowers are spent, after several weeks, I remove the stem and dry the flowers for an Autumn and Winter floral arrangement. Shubertii is not as tall, but the orb is basketball size and when dried and arranged, look like a bouquet of fireworks.

1 comment:

Tay said...

Hey granny flash, this website is really cool. you forgot to mention that the airhorn was you grandchildren's favorite too. there is nothing more funnier than sitting at the breakfast table with the family when all of a sudden grandma jumps up in her flannel jammies and runs around the yard with an airhorn! love you gramma, looking forward to reading more and seeing you easter vacation. :)

-Taylor

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!