Thursday, June 11, 2009

Long awaited Spring...

...is almost a memory. In just ten days it will be Summer. Here in the North Country, The Adirondacks of New York State, it looks like the song from Carousel, "June Is Bustin' Out All Over". It is very lush and green and leaves are on all the trees. The Ginkgo was a little late in leafing out but, it is quite lovely now. My Poppies are poppin' and the Iris are bloomin' and every plant is growing tall, full and vigorous. I am so blessed that this year the gardens are full of so many plants. The deer are avoiding the gardens and so far, so is the ground hog. I saw the ground hog yesterday. When our Grandson and Nephew come up for a visit, I will have them help me try to fill the hole that is nearest the house. I guess I better do some research and see what works best, to relocate its home enterance. Any comments would be appreciated. The Repel's All Spray seem to be detering them for now.
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterflies are in and around the gardens, as are some species of bees. I have been seeing many species of spiders also. The Pointed Blue Eyed grass is blooming and attracting many bees, as you can see in the photo.
I have been on several day trips with my docent friends this past week. I volunteer, as a docent at a local Art Museum. I am including a self portrait, taken on our trip yesterday to the Albright-Knox Museum in Buffalo, New York. It was a wonderful bus trip to see an Exhibit of Abstract Artists which included Pollack, DeKooning, Still, Krassner, Motherwell and many more.

4 comments:

Bernie said...

Love your photo's and self portrait, I am happy to hear that lush green is showing up in some places. We desparately need rain here. We have not had Spring really, it seems we went from Winter right into Summer. I am still amazed at your knowledge of your area and knowing the true names of those beautiful flowers. Thank you for sharing my friend, it's wonderful for me be able to see through your eyes....:-)Hugs

Wanda..... said...

Good morning Joan...I can hardly believe it's almost summer...Bernie needs rain and we've had thunderstorms 3 mornings in a row at...all at dawn even!

Everything is in full swing here too...poppies and iris have been here and gone though...the coreopsis, roses, yarrow, and hostas beginning are into blooming now...The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail hasn't shown up yet but will soon I'm sure.

We have a resident groundhog that lives under our barn...since it's far from the house I ignore him...except for photos!

Enjoyed your self portrait Joan...Smile and take care!

Deerfriend said...

Hi Bernie,
Wow, what a week, I just experienced. It almost seemed like two, it was so full. Just sharing a little joy, but sorry that you are lacking in the necessities for good gardening. I'm sending good wishes your way.
Thank you for your kindness and caring thoughts.
Missed you, lots of warm fuzzies :D

Deerfriend said...

Hi Wanda,
An amazing week! But, I did miss posting and reading all the wonderful post and seeing photos from Your and Bernie's Blogs.
Hope all is well, it is late and I need to get to bed.
Warm wishes and Happy Gardening :D

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!