Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Recently, I was asked...

...why I include Genus and Species when referring to specific Flora and/or Fauna. It is because Common Names are just that. Common to a specific area or group of people. For example, a favorite wild or woodland flower is Erythronium americanum, aka. Trout Lily, Adder's Tongue or Dog Tooth Violet. It has been called Trout Lily because its leaves are speckled like a trout, it blooms at trout season and is in the Lily Family. Some call it Adder's Tongue because its flower reminds them of an adder serpent. Yet still others know it as Dog Tooth Violet because its root looks like a dog's tooth, and perhaps seems similar to a yellow violet. I suppose it isn't any different than all the nicknames we have for each other.
Robin Wall Kimmerer wrote in her book Gathering Moss, "It is a sign of respect to call a being by its name, and a sign of disrespect to ignore it. Words and names are the ways we humans build relationship, not only with each other, but also with plants." I fully agree.

4 comments:

Wanda..... said...

That explains why lately I doubt certain common names I use when seeing it on another blog...also... it is so hard to determine the size of many flowers when seen on blogs if you're not already familiar with the flower and name...I know these as trout lillies...I look forward to my next lesson Joan! :)

Bernie said...

Oh Joan not only do I learn from your blog but also from Wanda's comments. I am one lucky lady to have you both in my life....:-) Hugs

Deerfriend said...

Thank you Wanda, I tried leaving a comment on your blog, but I don't see it posted.
Just wanted to thank you for your post and the "Visual Prayer", I experienced in viewing and reading your post. The "ribbons of light" photograph was dramatic and beautiful!!! I bet it was gone in a instant, thank you for sharing it.

Deerfriend said...

Thank you, Bernie. Finally, I was able to leave a comment on your Blog.
Persistence....
Isn't it amazing that we can still keep Learning, daily. What a gift... to Learn, to Teach and to keep Learning. More "Warm Fuzzies".

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!