Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The loveliest flower...

...I never grew. Oh, but I would love to be able to grow it. The first time I ever saw Meconopsis betonicifolia, Blue Himalayan Poppy was at Lynnwood Gardens near Philadelphia Pennsylvania, on the way to the Philadelphia Flower Show. The color is an amazing blue, so blue it almost took my breathe away, and the stamen are a wonderful contrasting orange. The next time I saw it growing was in Ogdensburg, New York, in a bog, along the St Lawrence River. The gardens belong to a friend, a Botanist, who spent many years trying and finally succeeding, in growing this magnificent Blossom. She told me that the seeds must be put in the freezer and removed and replaced, several times before attempting germination. The seeds, once they have germinated must be kept moist, never too damp and never too dry. When they are hardy enough to plant, the plant is the most important feature the first year. Which means, after the plant is strong and begins to form a bud, the bud most be removed. Removed so the plant can become heathly and strong. The following year, if the plant survives the winter, then you can let the bud form and become a bloom. Like I said, the prettiest flower I never grew.

4 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Well Joan...I understand why you never grew it...The Blue Himalayan Poppy is a demanding little plant!It is a perfect blue...but I guess I will stay with my Oriental Poppies...they are easy...I can grow them.

Bernie said...

What a gorgeous flower, I have never seen one before. I can't imagine doing so much to grow such a flower but if one does it's beauty certainly would be worth it.
Take care/ I care....:-)

Deerfriend said...

I agree Wanda, I prefer plants that need minimal care, that don't stick me with thorns, that are deer resistant and bloom their little hearts out...but, I love photographing other peoples flowers and gardens.

Deerfriend said...

I couldn't either Bernie, but as I said, I love photographing garden and flowers of friends

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!