Friday, March 13, 2009

And life continues...

While returning home yesterday, I chose another route to my home. On a less traveled road, I observed a "bird feeding station". Someone, using a snowmobile, had moved three road killed deer carcasses to the middle of a snow covered field. I pulled the car to the side of the road and took my camera from my purse. The telemacro feature on my camera allowed me to get several photos of birds feeding on the carcasses. On one carcass there were two immature Bald Eagles feeding and on another was a Common Raven.
I have been feeding the birds all winter and the price of seeds this year has been extremely costly. In addition to seeds, I also put out unsalted peanuts, and suet. If I had the means to move "roadkill" food to my meadow, I would do it too. The opportunity to feed and photograph Hawks, Eagles, Ravens and Crow for free is terrific.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Joan, Your photos are beautiful. I have come to expect nothing less. I'm glad to see you are finding a way to enjoy the long winter:)

Karen

The Deerly Beloved

The Deerly Beloved
Garden Flowers-Yum!!!